To avoid sex assault, don't be sexy, says government
Controversial message comes ahead of Songkhran celebrations
Local authorities are telling women to avoid dressing in 'sexy' outfits as they try to prevent sexual harassment or sex assault cases during next month's Songkran festival.
Department of Local Administration department director-general Sutthipong Chulcharoen said local bodies would arrange alcohol-free zones for revellers and launch campaigns to encourage tourists, particularly women, to dress appropriately so they do not fall victim to sex crimes.
He has told local governing bodies to come up with measures to better protect Songkran revellers and maintain order at tourist spots and entertainment venues during Songkran.
Jadet Chaowilai, director of the Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation, handed a letter to the Interior Ministry asking for better protection for women during next month's festival.
He was accompanied by more than 30 women who previously experienced unwanted sexual advances over Songkran.
Late last year, a powerful art exhibit called What Were You Wearing? displayed at the University of Kansas received widespread attention in the media in Thailand.
It featured stories from 18 victims of sexual violence along with representations of what they were wearing at the time. Clothing included a bikini, a red dress, khakis and a t-shirt and jeans.
Learn from listening
- advances: attempts to start a romantic or sexual relationship with somebody - แทะโลม
- campaign: a planned series of activities - การรณรงค์
- debunk: to show that an idea, a belief, etc. is false; to show that something is not as good as people think it is - แสดงให้เห็นว่าความคิดหรือความเชื่อนั้นผิด, หักล้างความคิด
- exhibit: an object or a work of art put in a public place, for example a museum, so that people can see it - ของที่แสดง
- modestly (adv): not showing much of the body; not attracting attention - อย่างเรียบร้อย, อย่างสุภาพ, โดยพอประมาณ
- myth (noun): a story or set of stories that are widely believed, but which are not true - เรื่องอภินิหาร,ตำนาน, นิยาย
- representation (noun): a picture of something showing that thing in a certain way - รูปแทน
- reveller: someone who enjoys themselves at a party or celebration - คนที่ชอบงานฉลอง ความสนุกสนานและงานรื่นเริง