Rescuers aim for 'Pattaya Beach' in flooded cave
Divers are waiting for the water level inside Tham Luang to drop before again trying to reach a high chamber that may be serving as a safe haven from the floodwaters for the missing 12 boys and their football coach.
"Divers are ready for another operation once the water level goes down," the Royal Thai Navy SEAL posted in a Facebook message around 7pm on Wednesday.
Floodwaters inside Tham Luang cave are blocking attempts to reach the teen footballers and their coach. They went inside the cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai, on Saturday afternoon and have not returned.
Image made on Wednesday shows a topographical map annotated with location details of Tham Luang cave in which 12 young soccer team members and their coach went missing on Saturday. (Bangkok Post Graphics)
Anukoon Sorn-ek, who surveyed the cave, told radio station FM100.5 on Tuesday that it was a possible place for the trapped boys and trainer to have escaped the water flowing into the cave from outside.
Earlier reports had said the diving team had reached the area but Maj Gen Chalongchai Chaiyakham, the deputy commander of the Third Army Region, confirmed on Wednesday that they had not been able to get that far. He said the "beach" is about 5-6 kilometres from the entrance.
The search entered its fourth day on Wednesday and rescuers are working around the clock as time runs out.
Three British cave-divers, who have previously explored Tham Luang, arrived on Wednesday evening to help in the operation.
Learn from listening
- around the clock: throughout the whole day and night; 24 hours - ทั้งวันทั้งคืน
- cave: a large hole in the side of a hill or under the ground - ถ้ำ
- chamber: a space in something (in a body, in a plant, a machine, etc, which is separated from the rest - ช่อง
- haven (noun): a place that is safe and peaceful - ที่ปลอดภัย, ที่หลบภัย
- murky: not clear; dark or dirty with mud or another substance - มืดมนมาก
- obstacle: a difficulty or problem that prevents you from achieving something - อุปสรรค ขวากหนาม
- operation: a planned activity involving a lot of people, especially soldiers or police officers - การปฏิบัติการ
- pump: a piece of equipment for making a liquid or gas move into or out of something - เครื่องสูบ(น้ำ etc.)
- shaft: a long narrow passage, e.g., one that leads from the surface of the ground down to a mine - อุโมงค์แนวตั้ง
- survey: the act of examining and recording the measurements, features, etc. of an area of land - การสำรวจ, การหาข้อมูล