Bangkok gets ready for cycling event
Interprovincial trains and certain MRT lines will offer free rides to the "Bike Un Ai Rak" cycling event's participants during this weekend's rehearsal and on the actual day of the event on Dec 9, according to officials.
The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) is giving the free tickets to cyclists travelling between Bangkok and nearby provinces including Ayutthaya, Saraburi, Chachoengsao, Prachin Buri, Ratchaburi and Nakhon Pathom.
A carriage dedicated to transporting bicycles will be added to the trains on the northern, eastern and southern lines. The transport fee for the bicycles will be waived, according to Worawut Mala, acting SRT governor.
Mr Worawut said the cyclists need to produce ID cards to obtain the free tickets at select train stations.
The fares for the MRT Purple Line and Blue Line trains will also be waived for Un Ai Rak cyclists.
Participants can pick up the free tickets at the station ticketing offices along the two lines, according to the Bangkok Expressway and Metro Plc (BEM).
The cycling event will take place next weekend in cities across the country.
His Majesty the King will lead the event by pedalling from the Royal Plaza to Lad Pho Park in Phra Pradaeng district of Samut Prakan province. The round trip covers 39 kilometres.
There are many routes throughout Bangkok for participants to ride through.
Those include a 4.2-km route from Lan Khon Muang outside City Hall to Suan Rommaneenart, a 16.2-km circuit that starts and ends at the Royal Turf Club, a second 6.2-km Royal Turf Club circuit, an 11-km Sanam Luang circuit and a 20.6-km Somdech Phra Pinklao Hospital route.
The Metropolitan Police Bureau met on Friday to discuss how the traffic will be redirected around the cycling routes, which will be closed in Bangkok from midday on the rehearsal and actual days of the event.
Traffic advisories have also been issued in Bangkok for both weekends. Authorities are also preparing to distribute royally bestowed gifts to cyclists on Saturday and Sunday at the National Stadium in Bangkok.
A total of 672,321 people across the country have registered to take part in the event. Of those registered, 102,600 signed up to participate in Bangkok.
Learn from listening
- advisory: an official warning that something bad is going to happen and, often, how to deal with it - คำเตือน; การแนะนำ
- bestow: (of something valuable or important) to give - มอบให้
- carriage: one of the vehicles that are joined together to make a train - ตู้โดยสาร
- circuit: a line, route, or journey around a place - การเคลื่อนรอบ
- dedicated: used only for one specific thing - ที่กำหนดใช้ในทางใดทางหนึ่งโดยเฉพาะ
- pedal: to push the pedals of a bicycle round with your feet - ถีบจักรยาน
- redirect: to divert; to sent in a different direction or route - เปลี่ยนทิศทางใหม่
- rehearsal (noun): practice for something before doing it - การซักซ้อม
- waive: to officially ignore a rule, right, or claim - ปลด