Bhumjaithai posters push weed
The Bhumjaithai Party has hit the campaign trail in Bangkok by proposing marijuana as a new cash crop for the country, said the party's MP candidate, Sawai Chotkasupha.
Bhumjaithai's campaign messages include the legalisation of ride-hailing mobile applications, the promotion of work-from-home schemes, as well as "digital home schools", which will allow students to study remotely from home.
The party also wants to open more public co-working spaces across the city.
He also said the public response to the idea is positive. "We've been out meeting people every day to spread our party manifesto, and people are really keen on the idea of marijuana as a cash crop," he said.
As a medium-sized party, Bhumjaithai is aiming to win enough MP seats to be considered as a core coalition partner in the next government -- a goal that was announced by its leader, Anutin Charnvirakul.
Learn from listening
- campaign (noun): a planned series of activities designed to persuade voters to vote for a particular candidate or political party - การรณรงค์หาเสียง
- cannabis (noun): marijuana; a drug made from the dried leaves and flowers or resin of the hemp plant, which is smoked or eaten and which gives the user a feeling of being relaxed. Use of the drug is illegal in many countries. - กัญชา
- cash crop (noun): a crop grown to earn money - พืชที่ปลูกเพื่อการค้า
- coalition: a temporary union of different political parties that agree to form a government together - พรรคร่วมรัฐบาล
- cultivation: the preparation and use of land for growing plants or crops - การเตรียมดินสำหรับเพาะปลูก
- hail: to signal to a taxi or a bus, in order to get the driver to stop - เรียก
- legalisation (noun): the fact of making something legal - นิติกรณ์
- liberalisation: the freeing up of something; removing regulations and restrictions - การเปิดเสรี
- manifesto: the aims of a political party and the things they say they will do if they win an election - นโยบายพรรคการเมือง
- marijuana (noun): a drug (illegal in many countries) made from the dried leaves and flowers of the hemp plant, which gives the person smoking it a feeling of being relaxed - กัญชา, ต้นกัญชา
- medicinal (adj): helpful in the process of healing illness or infection - ซึ่งมีคุณสมบัติเป็นยา
- narcotic: an illegal drug such as heroin, cocaine or crystal methamphetamine - ยาเสพย์ติด
- remotely: from a distance -