Violent storms hit Northeast, more rain forecast
Hundreds of houses were damaged by summer storms that brought gusting winds and hail to several provinces in the Northeast on Sunday night, and the weather office has warned of more harsh weather over the next few days.
Khon Kaen, Kalasin and Nakhon Ratchasima were among the areas hardest hit.
Ruj Rangsee, the chief of Ban Phai district in Khon Kaen, said at least 100 houses were damaged by the storms, which continued into the early hours of Monday.
Kalasin governor Kraisorn Kongchalad said 240 houses in five districts were damaged.
"Strong wind tore into the house just as we were going to bed. Suddenly there was a bang, a power cut and a hailstorm," Lawan Khamso, a resident of Ban Kaen Kham in Ban Phai district, said.
The Meteorological Department warned of more violent storms, mainly in the northern and northeastern regions, through to Wednesday. Some central provinces, including Bangkok, could also be affected, the advisory said.
Learn from listening
- advisory: an official warning that something bad is going to happen and, often, how to deal with it - คำเตือน; การแนะนำ
- appliance: a machine or piece of equipment that you have in your home, for example a washing machine or refrigerator - เครื่องใช้
- damaged (adj): having received physical harm makes something less attractive, useful or valuable - ได้รับความเสียหาย
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- mitigation: a reduction in the harmful effects of something - การบรรเทา การผ่อนคลาย
- power line (noun): a large wire carrying electricity to homes and businesses -
- roof (noun): the structure that covers or forms the top of a building or vehicle - หลังคา
- violent: having great energy or strong movement, very strong or severe - รุนแรง