Fire kills 2 at CentralWorld in Bangkok
At least two people died and 15 others were injured, some after jumping from the eighth floor, when a fire broke out at the CentralWorld shopping complex on Wednesday evening.
The CentralWorld management stated on its Facebook page that the fire started at about 5.40pm in a smoke ventilation duct on the eighth floor of the shopping centre, adjacent to Centara Grand at CentralWorld hotel on Rama I Road, close to the Ratchaprasong intersection in Pathumwan district.
Witnesses saw two people jumping from the eighth floor. Thick black smoke was seen billowing out and explosions were heard.
Both the hotel and the shopping centre were evacuated. Initial reports said many people were trapped in the building. The CentralWorld page said its fire fighters put out the blaze at 6.10pm, about half an hour after it started.
Bangkok governor Aswin Kwangmuang later said the fire started in a document room on the eighth floor of the shopping centre. The whole 16-storey building was closed pending investigation into the cause of the fire and the effectiveness of its fire suppression system.
Learn from listening
- billow: to spread over a large area - ทำให้พอง
- blaze: a large fire that cause a lot of damage -
- deceased: dead - ซึ่งตายแล้ว
- duct (noun): a long pipe or tube in a building that carries something such as water, heated air or wires - ท่อ
- evacuate: to cause to leave a place because it is not safe - เคลื่อนย้ายออกจาก
- inhalation: the process of breathing in - การหายใจเข้า
- intersection: a place where roads, lines, etc., join or cross each other - สี่แยก
- pending: waiting to be dealt with, settled or completed - ยังค้างอยู่, ซึ่งยังไม่จบสิ้น, อยู่ในระหว่าง
- snarl-up: a traffic jam; a situation where traffic is unable to move - การจราจรติดขัด
- suppression (noun): preventing something from growing, developing or continuing - การขจัด, การหยุดยั้ง
- ventilation: the movement of fresh air around a room or building, or a system that allows this to happen - การระบายลม
- vicinity: an area near a particular place -