Thanathorn vows to form government
Leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit has said his Future Forward Party will be the core to form the next government with him as PM if he succeeds, minutes after the Election Commission asked the Constitutional Court to disqualify him as an MP.
While the statement does not name any other party, it is common knowledge there is no love lost between the Democrat and Pheu Thai parties, given the deep-rooted animosity supporters of the two parties felt for each other over the past 20 years of polarising conflicts.
“Under the prevailing uncertainty, the one who benefits the most is Palang Pracharath. To dispel such uncertainty and desperation, we’ll be the core leader of the government. And if FFP can secure enough votes to form it, Thanathorn will be the prime minister to stop the continuation of power by the NCPO."
Half an hour earlier, the Election Commission issued a statement it had asked the Constitutional Court to disqualify Mr Thanathorn for owning shares in media companies when he applied as MP, a prohibition by law.
Mr Thanathorn’s argument was that the EC’s no longer had the power to seek his disqualification because by law it can deal with the issue of qualifications only after the application and before the poll, not after it, and that window had passed.
Learn from listening
- animosity (noun): a strong feeling of opposition, anger or hatred - ความเกลียดชัง
- barracks: a group of buildings where members of the armed forces live and work - โรงหรืออาคารใหญ่เป็นที่พักทหาร
- conflict: an angry disagreement between people or groups - ความขัดแย้ง
- desperation: the worry and anger that someone feels because they do not know how to deal with a bad situation - ความสิ้นหวัง, ความหมดหวัง
- disqualify: to not allow someone to do something because they have committed an offence - ไม่มีคุณสมบัติพอ
- fulfil: to do or have what is required or necessary - บำเพ็ญ
- heal: to make people stop fighting and have a better relationship - ทำให้คืนดีกัน
- ideology: system of ideas and principles on which a political or economic theory is based - แนวคิดอันเป็นรากฐานของสังคม เศรษฐกิจและการเมือง
- no love lost (phrase): used when two or more persons or groups dislike each other -
- polarise: to separate or make people separate into two groups with completely opposite opinions - แบ่งเป็นฝ่าย
- prevail: to be the strongest influence or element in a situation - เป็นจริง, มีอำนาจเหนือกว่า
- prohibition: not allowing something; banning - (มีคำสั่ง)ห้าม
- stance: an attitude or view about an issue that you state clearly; position - จุดยืน