Compulsory insurance for tourists planned
Compulsory travel insurance for foreign visitors is expected to debut this year, according to the Office of the Insurance Commission (OIC).
Foreign travellers will be required to pay 20 baht each for the compulsory insurance at immigration offices in airports, which will be directed to Thailand's Tourism Promotion Fund for coverage of payments in the event of claims, said its secretary-general.
The China market is the biggest for Thai tourism, making up nearly 10 million visitors out of the overall 38 million international arrivals last year.
Learn from listening
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- catastrophe: an extremely damaging event - เหตุร้ายกาจม ความหายนะ
- claim: to demand or ask for something because you believe it is your legal right to own or to have it - อ้างสิทธิ, ยืนยัน
- compulsory: if something is compulsory, you must do it because of a rule or law - ที่จำเป็นต้องทำ
- confidence: being certain of your abilities or of having trust in people, plans, or the future - ความมั่นใจ
- coverage: protection that an insurance company or government provides by promising to pay you money if a particular event happens - ความคุ้มครอง
- duration: the period of time during which something continues to happen or exist - ช่วงระยะเวลา, ความทนทาน
- immigration (bureau): the government agency dealing with people entering and leaving the country and those who want to live there - สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
- insurance: an arrangement in which you regularly pay an insurance company an amount of money so that they will give you money if something you own is damaged, lost, or stolen, or if you die or are ill or injured - การประกัน
- tragedy: a very sad event that causes people to suffer or die - โศกนาฏกรรม