B48m to be spent improving Khao San Road
published : 22 Jul 2019 at 18:36
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Online Reporters
Footpaths on the famous tourist strip of Khao San Road will be revamped, with clear vendor zoning established to ensure orderliness and safety, according to City Hall.
The work is set to begin in October and finish in February next year at a cost of 48 million baht, said deputy Bangkok governor Sakoltee Phattiyakul.
He said the improvement is necessary as Khao San Road is one of the city's best-known tourist attractions.
The work will involve repaving the footpaths and making them level all the way along the road. The surface will also be re-done using tiles.
The street vendors will be assigned fixed trading spaces on the footpaths with railings to clearly divide the footpath and the road for safety reasons.
Altogether, there will be 240 vendors trading from 9am to 9pm, according to the deputy governor.
Mr Sakoltee added the Khao San area will be off-limits to vendors with pushcarts and no vending stalls will be allowed to encroach on the road or trade outside the zones.
- cart (noun): a small vehicle with two or four wheels that you push or pull to transport large or heavy objects on - เกวียน, รถเข็นหรือรถลาก
- encroach: to gradually enter, cover or take control of more and more of an area of land or sea - บุกรุก, ล่วงล้ำ
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- necessary (adj.): essential, needful, something that you must do or have - จำเป็น, ซึ่งเลี่ยงไม่ได้, ซึ่งเป็นที่ต้องการ, สำคัญ
- off-limits: (of a place or area of land) not allowed to enter - ที่ห้ามเข้า,ที่ไม่อนุญาตให้ผ่านเข้าไป
- railing (noun): a fence made of vertical metal bars; one of these bars - ราวลูกกรง, รั้วซี่กรง
- repave: to recover a road with a hard substance (especially asphalt) -
- revamp: to make a major change or revision to something - ปรับปรุงใหม่
- tile: a piece of baked clay that is used in rows for covering roofs - แผ่นกระเบื้อง
- vendor: someone who sells something, but often not in a shop - พ่อค้าแม่ค้าแผงลอย
- deputy governor
- safety reasons
- street vendors