Motorcyclists race around Wat Phra Kaew, Grand Palace
published : 30 Jul 2019 at 00:19
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Online Reporters
Motorcycle racers drew criticism on social media after a video was posted showing them racing near the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, or Wat Phra Kaew, and the Grand Palace on Sunday night.
The street racers caused problems for traffic and pedestrians, many celebrating HM the King's birthday. Police rushed to the area to chase them away.
The clip, posted by SSBN-Thailand Facebook page, showed dek waen - as these young racers are known in Thai - riding their noisy, modified bikes around the historical sites. Netizens condemned them for their "inappropriate" action and lack of respect, both for the location and for other road users.
The small group of bikers raced along the road around 10pm, according to JS100 traffic radio. The JS100 report quoted police as saying they had identified the street racers and were tracking them down. If underage, their parents would be held responsible.
Earlier, a candlelight ceremony had been held at adjacent Sanam Luang, starting about 7.30pm, to celebrate His Majesty the King’s 67th birthday.
One Facebook user wrote on SSBN-Thailand Facebook page “I took the clip. At the time, I was taking photos and other people from other places were taking a rest in the area. Suddenly, a motorcyclist raced through the area with one wheel of his bike raised up, showing off to others. The racer did this 2 or 3 times. Two other street racers joined him. Later, police rushed to the area to chase them.’’
SSBN-Thailand Page said the clip was taken from Min Patipon Facebook.
A clip shows street racers racing in the area around the Wat Phra Kaew and the Grand Palace on Sunday night, drawing heavy criticism among netizens. (Clip taken from SSBN-Thailand @AntiCorruption001 Facebook page)
Learn from listening
- adjacent: very near, next to, or touching - ติดกัน
- condemn: to criticise something or someone strongly - ประนาม
- criticism: comments that show that you think something is wrong or bad - การวิจารณ์
- inappropriate: unsuitable - ซึ่งไม่เหมาะสม
- modified (verb): changed slightly, especially in order to improve it or use it in different way - ดัดแปลง; ถูกดัดแปลง
- pedestrians: people who are walking, especially in an area where vehicles go - คนเดินถนน, คนเดินเท้า
- show off: to behave in a way that is intended to attract people’s attention and make them admire you - อวดตัว
- street racers