Fake goods worth B550m to be destroyed
published : 13 Sep 2019 at 09:17
writer: Gary Boyle
More than 10 million counterfeit items worth about 550 million baht that were seized by authorities in recent months will be destroyed in Samut Prakan, the Commerce Ministry has announced.
Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit on Thursday presided over a ceremony to inspect the goods, which include fake brand-name handbags, watches and 9 million cigarettes.
Meanwhile, the Department of Intellectual Property said it has blocked 1,200 websites selling pirated goods online since the beginning of last year.
In the first five months of this year, the department arrested suspects involved in 2,574 cases involving the sale and distribution of counterfeit goods.
Learn from listening
- confiscated: officially taken away - ถูกยึด
- counterfeit: illegal copies made in order to trick people - ของปลอม
- destroy (verb): to damage something so badly that it no longer exists, works, etc - ทำลาย
- industrial estate: an area of land where industrial companies have their buildings - นิคมอุตสาหกรรม
- inspect: to look at something carefully - ตรวจสอบ, ตรวจสอบอย่างละเอียด
- intellectual property: something that someone has created or invented and that no one else is legally allowed to make, copy, or sell - ทรัพย์สินทางปัญญา
- pirated: illegally copied - ละเมิดลิขสิทธิ์
- preside over: to lead or be in charge of - รับผิดชอบ