Heavy rains stop Koh Chang ferries and tours
published : 15 Sep 2019 at 22:13
writer: Gary Boyle
TRAT: Ferry services and coastal and waterfall tours were halted after water runoff flooded low-lying properties on Koh Chang after torrential rain and rough seas.
The management of Mu Ko Chang National Park closed Khlong Plu and Tan Mayom waterfalls, which were flowing heavily. It also suspended coral tours on Ko Rang island due to rough seas.
Severe runoff occurred on Sunday morning. The levels of local canals were fluctuating as runoff from the island's mountainous terrain continued. Local authorities said they might ask the navy to pick up tourists if rough seas continued.
Learn from listening
- current: a strong movement of water in one direction - กระแสน้ำ
- engulf: to cover or surround something in a way that harms or destroys it - ปกคลุม
- fluctuate: to change or vary, especially continuously and between one level or thing and another - ผันแปร, ขึ้นๆ ลงๆ
- runoff: rainfall that cannot be taken in by the soil and which flows into rivers, lakes or the sea - น้ำหลาก, ปริมาณของเหลวที่ไหลออก
- slammed (verb): hit with great force - ชนเข้าอย่างแรง
- suspend: to stop for a period of time - ยกเลิกชั่วคราว, ระงับชั่วคราว
- terrain: an area of land, usually one that has particular physical features - ภูมิประเทศ
- torrential rain: extremely heavy rain - ฝนไหลเชี่ยว