'Billionaire' wedding cost B300,000, not B3.5m, says organiser
published : 3 Oct 2019 at 15:37
writer: Gary Boyle
BURI RAM: The organiser of a lavish wedding party says she was hired for 300,000 baht, not the 3.5 million baht quoted by the mother of the bride after the "billionaire" groom ran off without paying.
The organiser posted a message of her Doungruethai Wedding Facebook page on Thursday.
“Let me explain the hot news regarding a Buri Ram bride left by her billionaire groom. I just learned about this news today after photos of the wedding party were widely shared online. Many people wrongly thought that our team was a major organiser from Bangkok hired for 2.6 million baht as reported. In fact, we were not the major organiser," she said.
"Our team was sub-contracted to arrange this party at a luxury hotel in Buri Ram on May 10 this year. It was a really grand event. The major organiser was from Chanthaburi, and sub-contracted it to us. Our 20 team members spent three nights and days arranging the party. We were hired for 300,000 baht. Don’t rush to blame us before reading my explanation. Thank you for your understanding.’’
The Buri Ram wedding party grabbed news headlines recently after the mother of the 30-year-old bride, a product presenter, or “pretty’, complained that the groom, who described himself as a billionaire, had fled and left her daughter with a 3.5-million-baht debt for their wedding party.
Social media on Thursday widely shared photos of the self-proclaimed billionaire. "Nat" posed in photos featuring his supposedly luxurious lifestyle and his overseas trips.
Amarin TV interviewed a man, identified only as Nueng, who said he had a mushroom farm and had also been deceived by the so-called billionaire, who ordered mushrooms for sale in Lam Luk Ka district of Pathum Thani.
Initially, the man paid online, but later delayed payments, Mr Nueng said. He had delivered mushrooms to the man at Lam Luk Ka market.
Learn from listening
- billionaire: having more than a billion pounds, dollars (or a billion baht in Thailand) - คนที่รวยมากๆ มีทรัพย์สินพันล้านดอลล่าร์
- blame: to say or think that someone or something did something wrong or is responsible for something bad happening - ตำหนิ
- bride: the woman at a wedding who is getting married - เจ้าสาว
- explanation (noun): a description of how something happened or happens; giving the reasons why it happened - การอธิบาย, การชี้แจง, การขยายความ, คำอธิบาย
- grand: very big - ใหญ่โต
- groom (bridegroom): a man on his wedding day, or just before or just after it - เจ้าบ่าว
- mushroom: a fungus (a type of plant) that usually has a short stem and a round top. Some mushrooms can be eaten, but many are poisonous - เห็ด
- organiser: an event organiser; a person or company that organises big events such as beauty contests -
- self-proclaimed: giving yourself a particular title, job, etc. without the agreement or permission of other people - เรียกตัวเองว่า, ประกาศตัวเองเป็น
- sub-contract: to carry out work for a company as part of a bigger project -
- supposedly: believed to be; thought to be - เป็นที่เชื่อว่า