Van crash kills 3 vocational students in Lampang
published : 8 Oct 2019 at 13:04
writer: Gregory Morrissey
LAMPANG: Three vocational students were killed while on their way to receive scholarships in Bangkok when the passenger van they were travelling in crashed into the rear of a lorry early on Tuesday.
The van, containing 16 passengers and the driver, rear-ended a 10-wheel truck loaded with corn on Phahon Yothin road in Ko Kha district about 1am. All on board were injured, six seriously.
Lampang police chief Pol Maj Gen Anucha Uamcharoen said at the scene that three students later succumbed to their injuries at Lampang Hospital in Muang district.
The three deceased students studied at the Northern Mubankhru Technological College Lamphun campus and were travelling to the main campus in Bangkok to receive scholarships, he said.
The injured van driver was identified as Techinpotch Phothong.
Ten-wheeler driver Somyot Thongsri told police he was travelling in the left lane when he heard another vehicle crash into the back of his truck. He stopped and checked to see what happened and then called police.
A family car with five people inside was following the van and the driver lost control as he swerved to avoid it. The car hit the concrete median strip.
The car driver, identified only as Somchai, said he, his wife and three young sons were relocating from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. His wife and children were injured, according to police.
It is the second fatal accident involving vocational students in less than two weeks. Thirteen students from Sisaket Technical College in Si Sa Ket died when their pickup truck flipped over in Samut Prakan on Sept 29.
Learn from listening
- fatal: causing someone to die - ถึงตาย
- flipped over: to turn over into a different position with a sudden quick movement - สะบัด,พลิก
- median strip: the island or elevated area in middle of road for people to stand on -
- relocate: to move someone or something to another place - โยกย้ายประชาชนออกจากบริเวณ
- scholarship (noun): money given to a student to pay for the cost of education - ทุนการศึกษา
- succumb: to die - ตาย
- swerve: to change directions suddenly - เปลี่ยนทิศทาง
- vocational students: students attending a school which provided the skills necessary for particular jobs - นักเรียนอาชีวศึกษา