Road closures planned for Pope Francis visit
Tight security and traffic controls have been put in place for the 4-day visit by Pope Francis from Wednesday, with 6,500 police to be deployed in Bangkok and Nakhon Pathom.
Some roads would be closed to traffic during the pope’s arrival and during his departure - from 12.30pm to 1pm on Nov 20, and from 8.30am to 9am on Nov 23.
This will affect the Don Muang Tollway, Din Daeng and Rama IV expressways and Rama IV and Sathon roads.
Security will also be tight on Thursday and Friday, when Pope Francis will visit eight venues – one in Nakhon Pathom and seven in Bangkok - Government House, St Louise Hospital, Ambara Villa, Wat Rachabophit, the National Stadium, Chulalongkorn University and the Cathedral of the Assumption in Bang Rak district.
Drivers are advised to instead use Silom, Ratchadamri, Sukhumvit, Ratchaprarop, Ploenchit, Phetchaburi, Rama VI, Sri Ayutthaya, Lan Luang, Yaowarat, Chaturathit and Chakkrawat roads.
- beef up: to strengthen - เสริมกำลัง
- departure: leaving - การออกจาก
- deploy: (of police or soldiers) to put in place ready for action - ส่ง (ทหาร, ตำรวจ) ประจำการ.
- instead (adv): in the place of somebody/something - แทน, แทนที่
- motorcade: a group of cars traveling with someone very important - ขบวนรถ
- papal (adj.): connected with the Pope - เกี่ยวกับองค์สันตะปาปา
- Pope (also pontiff): the leader of the Roman Catholic Church, who is also the Bishop of Rome - สันตะปาปา, โป๊ป, สังฆราช
- preparation: things that you do to get ready for something or make something ready - การตระเตรียม
- stay clear of: to stay away from - อยู่ห่างจาก