Truckers to be asked to travel less
published : 18 Dec 2019 at 11:54
writer: Gary Boyle
The Interior Ministry plans to ask trucking associations to reduce the number of trips their drivers have to make during the New Year period, as the government struggles to reduce the annual road accident carnage.
Gen Anupong Paojinda said he would ask trucking associations and truck drivers for their "cooperation" to stop or reduce travel during "the Seven Dangerous Days".
During the previous Seven Dangerous Days, the number of road deaths stood at 463 countrywide, with the highest death toll in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima.
This year, the Seven Dangerous Days start on Dec 27 and run until Jan 2.
Apart from asking trucking associations for their cooperation, he said the ministry will introduce "coloured zones" for each district, according to the rate of road accidents, in a bid to keep track on accident numbers and allocate resources more efficiently.
He added that the Interior Ministry has already installed more surveillance cameras on main highways to improve monitoring of errant motorists and traffic congestion.
Any drivers who appear intoxicated will be stopped by officers and breathalysed, he warned.
Learn from listening
- allocate (verb): to give out an amount of or share of something - แบ่งส่วน
- breathalyser (noun): a device used by the police to measure the amount of alcohol in a driver’s breath - เครื่องวัดปริมาณอัลกอฮอล์จากลมหายใจ
- cooperation: a situation in which people or organisations work together to achieve a result that will benefit all of them - การร่วมมือกัน
- deploy: (of police or soldiers) to put in place ready for action - ส่ง (ทหาร, ตำรวจ) ประจำการ.
- errant (adj): doing something that is wrong; not behaving in an acceptable way - ที่ประพฤติชั่ว, ซึ่งประพฤติตัวไม่ดี
- fit: suitable; of the right quality; with the right qualities or skills - ที่เหมาะสม
- intoxication: a condition of having had too much of an alcoholic drink, a drug, etc. - การมึนเมา
- notorious: famous for something bad - ซึ่งมีชื่อเสียงในทางไม่ดี
- resource: a supply of something that a country, an organization or a person has and can use - ทรัพยากร
- toll: the number of deaths and injuries caused by a disaster, accident, disease, etc. - การสูญเสีย
- zone: an area that has an important or typical feature; an area where a particular activity is allowed or not allowed - พื้นที่, บริเวณ, เขต