MP's father involved in car-bike crash
published : 22 Dec 2019 at 14:53
writer: Gary Boyle
Thawee Kraikupt, father of Palang Pracharath MP Pareena Kraikupt, was involved a car-motorcycle crash in Ratchaburi province that injured a 16-year-old boy on Saturday.
Police were alerted on Saturday afternoon after a car hit a motorcycle at an intersection near a bridge on the Photharam Hospital-Ban Kong Road.
They found a Mercedes-Benz e300 with Bangkok licence plates blocked by the rescuers’ pickup truck, 300 metres from the scene.
The driver did not get out of the car. When police talked to him, he repeatedly told them: “I’m Thawee”.
Mr Thawee agreed to go to the Photharam police station, where he agreed to pay medical bills and repairs to the teenager's bike.
According to the Facebook page of the Sawang Ratchaburi rescue team, which was the first on the scene, Mr Thawee might have been trying to escape before police arrived.
They wrote that while they were applying first aid to the victim and waiting for police, Mr Thawee tried to drive away until he hit a fence at a nearby house and almost hit the rescuers helping the victim.
After that, he turned to where the rescuers' vehicle was parked, blocking his way. He honked the horn for the vehicle to move but police finally arrived.
Mr Thawee, 80, is a former transport minister and Ratchaburi MP. His daughter Pareena has recently been accused of illegally occupying some 700 rai of reform and forest land. She had to return most of it to the Agricultural Land Reform Office.
Learn from listening
- accused: to be said to have done something wrong or committed a crime - ถูกกล่าวหา
- alert: to tell someone in authority about a danger or problem so that they can deal with it - เตือนให้ระวัง
- block: to stop someone/ something from moving through or along something else - ปิดกั้น, กีดขวาง
- escape (verb): to get away from a place; to leave a place where you are in danger - หนี
- fence: a structure made of wood or wire supported with posts that is put between two areas of land as a boundary, or around a garden/yard, field, etc. to keep animals in, or to keep people and animals out - รั้ว
- illegally: in a way that is against the law - อย่างผิดกฎหมาย
- laceration: a deep cut in someone’s flesh - บาดแผลที่ฉีกขาด, การฉีกขาด
- occupy: to work or live on a piece of land - อาศัยอยู่ใน, ครอบครอง
- patrol: a group of people or vehicles that move around a place in order to prevent trouble or crime - หน่วยลาดตระเวน
- victim: someone who has been affected by a bad situation, such as a disaster, illness or an accident - เหยื่อผู้เคราะห์ร้าย