Nazi pair in mall cause stir
Photos of two men wearing Nazi uniforms at a shopping mall New Year event drew condemnation from the Israeli embassy yesterday.
Central Pattana Plc (CPN), the owner of CentralWorld, insisted in a statement that it and Mastercard, its co-organiser of the shopping plaza's current New Year decoration event, had nothing to do with two men in Nazi uniform who had their photos taken at the event.
"I am disappointed to see the sad reoccurrence of incidents in which Nazi symbols are displayed on random occasions in Thailand. Needless to say, that this is an insult to the 6 million Jews and other victims of the Nazi regime and their relatives," read the message.
"There is yet a lot to be done in Thailand through proper education and public awareness,'' read the same message.
The same Facebook page later in the day updated its post by adding a paragraph reading: "In light of the apology that was given by one of the people in the photos, we have accepted his request and deleted the photos accordingly."
- accordingly (adv): for that reason - ตามนั้น, ดังนั้น, เช่นนั้น
- ambassador: a senior official who lives in a foreign country and represents his or her own country there - ทูต
- apology: an act of saying sorry - คำขอโทษ
- blast: to criticise severely - วิพากษ์วิจารณ์อย่างรุนแรง
- condemn: to say publicly that you think someone or something is bad or wrong - ถูกประนาม
- condemnation: a public statement in which someone criticises someone or something severely - การประนามหยามเหยียด
- consideration: giving careful thought to something before making a decision - การคิดพิจารณา
- embassy: a building where a group of officials work who represent their government in a foreign country - สถานทูต
- faux pas: not socially correct - การประพฤติผิด, การทำผิด, ความผิดพลาด
- fresh: new; made or experienced recently - ใหม่, เมื่อเร็วๆนี้, สดๆ ร้อนๆ
- inappropriate: unsuitable - ซึ่งไม่เหมาะสม
- insult (noun): a remark or an action that is said or done in order to offend or upset somebody - การดูถูก, การประชดประชัน, การสบประมาท, การเย้ยหยัน
- Nazi (n): a member of the National Socialist German Workers’ Party that controlled Germany from 1933 to 1945 under Adolf Hitler, or someone who believes in fascism (= state control of social and economic life and extreme pride in country and race, with no political disagreement allowed) -
- offence: something that makes you feel angry and upset because it is insulting, unfair, or morally wrong - การทำให้ขุ่นเคืองใจ
- offend (verb): to cause someone to be upset or angry - ก่อให้เกิดความขุ่นเคือง
- random: happening, done or chosen by chance rather than according to a plan - ซึ่งไม่มีแบบแผน
- regime: a government that controls a country, especially in a strict or unfair way - รัฐบาลที่ขึ้นมาปกครองโดยการยึดอำนาจ
- responsibility: a duty; a duty to deal with or take care of somebody/something, so that you may be blamed if something goes wrong - ความรับผิดชอบ
- statement: something that you say or write that gives information or an opinion - แถลงการณ์, คำแถลง