Public prefer 'anti-Uncle' run
published : 6 Jan 2020 at 09:53
writer: Gary Boyle
A poll found that more Thais support the run to seek the ouster of Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha than a rival event scheduled on the same date to show support for the prime minister.
"Wing Lai Lung" or "Run to Oust Uncle", a reference to Gen Prayut, is organised by anti-military student activists.
The rival "Dern Wing Cheer Lung", is organised by supporters of the prime minister.
The organisers have sought police permission to hold the events -- the former will be held at Thammasat University, while the latter will be held at Lumpini Park.
About 4% said they had no comment or are not interested.
Meanwhile, about 67% of respondents said they do not support the Dern Wing Cheer Lung -- with about 48% showing strong opposition towards the event. Only 9% of all respondents support the event and 4% said they weren't interested.
Learn from listening
- activists (noun): people who take part in activities that are intended to achieve political or social change, especially someone who is a member of an organisation - นักกิจกรรม
- background: the type of career, training, or education that someone has had - ประวัติ
- gauge (verb): to make a judgment or guess about a situation, action or person based on the information that you have - ประเมิน
- opposition: strong disagreement with a plan or policy - ความขัดแย้ง
- oust: to force to leave a position of power - ขับออกจากอำนาจ
- permission: allowing someone to do something - การอนุญาต,การอนุมัติ,การยินยอม
- poll: an occasion when a lot of people are asked about what they feel about something - การสำรวจความคิดเห็น
- respondent (noun): someone who answers questions - ผู้ตอบคำถาม/แบบสำรวจ
- rival: competing; opposing - คู่แข่ง
- voice: to express your feelings or opinions - ออกความคิด