Passenger boat sinks in reservoir; 1 dead, 4 missing
published : 20 Jan 2020 at 15:42
writer: Gary Boyle
UTTARADIT: A woman was confirmed drowned and four other people were missing after a passenger boat sank in the reservoir at Sirikit dam on Monday morning.
Police said the boat left Huay Ta village shortly after 9am with 10 passengers and the boat owner-operator on board. The boat was also carrying agricultural goods.
In middle of the reservoir the boat ran into a tree stump uncovered by the falling level of the water, and capsized. The accident happened two kilometres from the boat's destination.
A large number of rescuers immediately began a search and rescue mission.
Six of the people on board were rescued, but five were missing.
One dead body was later found and recovered. The four others were still missing.
Learn from listening
- agricultural (adj): of the science or practice of farming - ที่เกี่ยวกับเกษตรกรรม
- capsize: (of a boat or other object) to turn over in the water - คว่ำ, พลิกคว่ำ
- destination: the place where someone or something is going - จุดหมายปลายทาง
- goods: things that are produced to be sold; possessions that can be moved - สินค้า, สิ่งของ
- mission: an important piece of work that a person or a group of people has been given to do - ภาระกิจ หน้าที่
- recover: to get something that was lost, stolen, or owed - การนำกลับคืน, การกู้
- rescue: to save a person or animal from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - ช่วยชีวิต
- rescuer: a person who saves someone from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - ผู้ช่วยชีวิต
- reservoir: a natural or artificial lake where water is stored - อ่างเก็บน้ำ
- stump (noun): the bottom part of a tree left in the ground after the rest has fallen or been cut down - ตอไม้