Govt names 11 virus risk zones
The Public Health Ministry has issued an announcement defining nine countries and two territories as high-risk zones for coronavirus disease to accommodate control measures yet to be announced.
The nine countries are Japan, Germany, South Korea, China, Taiwan, France, Singapore, Italy and Iran. The two territories are Hong Kong and Macau, according to the announcement, coming into effect when it is published in the Royal Gazette.
The move is believed to pave the way for authorities to impose measures to contain the spread of Covid-19 by carriers from abroad, especially after some 5,000 Thais working illegally in South Korea said they would return home.
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul briefly showed the announcement signed by him on his Facebook page on Tuesday afternoon with a message that all visitors from these countries will be required to quarantine themselves for 14 days with no exceptions. However, the post was deleted minutes later without explanation.
Learn from listening
- effect: a change that somebody/something causes in somebody/something else; a result - ผลกระทบ
- exception: someone or something that is different in some way from other people or things and so cannot be included in a general statement - เป็นที่แตกต่าง ที่พิเศษออกไปจากกลุ่ม
- explanation (noun): a description of how something happened or happens; giving the reasons why it happened - การอธิบาย, การชี้แจง, การขยายความ, คำอธิบาย
- force (verb): to make someone do something that they don't want to do - บังคับ
- isolate: to separate from other people - แยกจากกัน
- measure: a firm action taken to solve a problem or stop a dangerous unpleasant situation - มาตราการ
- pave the way for (verb): to create a situation in which something can happen - ปูทาง
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- territory: an area of land controlled by a particular country, leader or army - อาณาบริเวณ อาณาเขตประเทศ