Monkey fight in Lop Buri shocks humans
Hundreds of monkeys from two gangs engaged in a brawl that shocked local humans in Lop Buri on Wednesday.
Sasaluk Rattanachai posted a message showing hundreds of monkeys taking to the streets in the Lop Buri municipality on Wednesday.
Lop Buri is home to thousands of monkeys. Each has to choose one of two gangs — temple monkeys and city monkeys.
Normally the two camps do not encroach on one another's territories.
So why did they fight? Local residents came up with different theories. Some pointed to the heat that might have made them hot-tempered, while others believed they were fighting for food.
A taxi motorcyclist told Thai Rath online that he witnessed the leader of the temple gang leading its members into the area controlled by the city camp to find food at a market. The chief of the city monkeys then fought back, leading the intruders to retreat, he said.
A woman told Thai Rath online that the monkeys at Phra Prang Sam Yod did not have enough food and decided to enter other areas to find something to eat.
Somchai, a local resident, told Manager online he saw the incident as a bad omen for the country -- the 75-year-old man said he has never seen it before.
"Did this relate to the Covid-19 virus that is spreading?" he asked.
Learn from listening
- brawl: a rough, noisy, uncontrolled fight - การทะเลาะกัน, การวิวาท
- encroach: to gradually enter, cover or take control of more and more of an area of land or sea - บุกรุก, ล่วงล้ำ
- gang (noun): a group of criminals who work together; a group of young people who spend time together causing trouble - แก๊ง, กลุ่มโจร
- hot-tempered (adj): tending to become very angry easily - ใจร้อน
- intruder: someone who enters a place without permission - ผู้บุกรุก
- municipality: a town, city or district with its own local government - เทศบาล
- omen: a sign of what is going to happen in the future - ลางบอกเหตุ
- retreat: to move back or away - ถอยกลับ
- rival: a person you are competing against or opposing - คู่แข่ง
- spread: gradually affecting or covering a larger area - การแพร่กระจาย
- theory: one or more ideas that explain how or why something happens - สมมติฐาน