27 Bangkok cops have Covid-19
published : 30 Mar 2020 at 21:10
writer: Gary Boyle
As many as 27 Bangkok police officers have contracted Covid-19 Bangkok’s police chief said on Monday.
Pol Lt Gen Pakkapong said 326 others were in quarantine waiting for test results.
The infected officers fell into two groups, he said: those who recently returned from a work tour in Spain, and those who visited two major transmission sites — the Lumpinee boxing arena and the Thong Lor entertainment complex.
One of the infected officers is the deputy traffic police chief of Taling Chan district and people close to him have already been quarantined, he added.
The Public Health Ministry is investigating how he caught the virus, but Pol Lt Gen Pakkapong insisted the deputy traffic chief had not contracted the disease from a Covid-19 screening point.
The total number of coronavirus cases in Thailand rose by 136 on Monday, with another two deaths.
Learn from listening
- checkpoint: a place where people are stopped and questioned and vehicles are examined, especially at a border between two countries - ด่านตรวจ
- contract : to become infected with a disease - ติดเชื้อ
- deploy: (of police, soldiers, government officials or equipment) to put in place ready for action - ส่ง ประจำการ.
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- transmission: the spread of a disease from one person or animal to another - การแพร่เชื้อ