Bangkok alcohol ban extended to end of April
The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has extended the ban on sales of alcoholic beverages until the end of the month, with the capital still the leading hotspot for coronavirus infections.
Hours after the end of the ban, BMA spokesman Pongsakorn Kwanmuang announced on Monday it had been extended for another 10 days, until April 30.
Some shops had already posted signs advising customers that no liquor sales were allowed until the end of the month.
Thailand had 2,792 Covid-19 infection cases as of Monday morning, 1,440 of them detected in Bangkok.
Learn from listening
- detected: noticed, discovered or found out - จับได้ พบได้
- discourage: to make someone feel like something should not be done - ทำให้ไม่อยาก (ทำสิ่งใดสิ่งหนึ่ง)
- extend: to add more time - ยืดออกไป
- extension: making a period of time longer - การขยายออกไป
- gathering: a party or a meeting when many people come together as a group - การรวมตัว, การประชุม
- liquor: strong alcoholic drink - สุราที่ได้จากการกลั่น
- prohibit: to not allow; to ban - ห้าม
- virus (noun): a living thing, too small to be seen without a microscope, that causes infectious disease in people, animals and plants - เชื้อไวรัส