40 new Covid cases confirmed in Yala
published : 4 May 2020 at 00:00
writer: Gary Boyle
YALA: The provincial public health office has confirmed 40 new coronavirus cases after thorough testing among at-risk groups, including those recently returned from neighbouring countries.
Provincial public health chief Songkran Maichum said on Sunday that intense testing since April 20 had uncovered 40 new cases, now confirmed in lab results.
Four new cases were found in Muang, 24 in Yaha, seven in Bannang Satar and five in Raman districts.
"The quicker we find them, the better it is for health officials," he told the media, adding that officials will be mobilised to prevent the virus spreading out of control.
People at risk of infection were pilgrims returning from religious activities in Malaysia, Indonesia and Pakistan, those working in Malaysia, attendants of religious events in the province and those returning from other provinces.
The latest number of cases will be the highest in the province to date after it is officially confirmed by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.
Yala is the southern border province hit hardest by the virus, with 126 confirmed cases.
Learn from listening
- approach: to move closer to someone or something - เข้าใกล้
- border: the official line separating two areas, regions or countries - เขตแดน อาณาเขต
- capacity: the total amount or number that can be handled or contained - ปริมาณสูงสุดที่จะรับได้
- intense: done with a lot of effort, energy, attention, etc. - เข้มข้น
- lab (laboratory): a room or building used for scientific research, experiments, testing, etc - ห้องปฏิบัติการ, ห้องทดลอง
- mobilise: organising a group of people to do something - เกณฑ์, รวบรวม, ระดมกำลัง
- pilgrim: a person who travels to a holy place for religious reasons - ผู้แสวงบุญ