Shoppers tracked as they return to malls
Shoppers returned to malls on Sunday after they were allowed to reopen following the improving situation of the coronavirus outbreak in the country.
Shoppers scan a QR code for the Thai Chana app to their mobile phones. The QR code opens a link in the phone's browser which the customer inputs their phone number into, then clicks to check-in and check-out of shops. Shops are also required to register with Thai Chana. People who are unable to use their mobile phone can write their details on a form on entry and exit.
The registration for shoppers caused a long line at some malls, including Siam Paragon, as many shoppers wanted to be among the first to go inside when it opened.
The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said on Sunday more than 26,000 shops, most of them in Bangkok, had registered with Thai Chana and 4,635 people were checking in with it every minute.
Shops that were popular on the first reopening day included Ikea at Megabangna, which on Sunday afternoon stopped allowing new visitors as the number reached the reduced capacity. Other malls were less crowded.
Shopping centres had been closed for at least a month, depending on their location, leaving only supermarkets allowed to open.
The government decided to allow stores and some businesses to reopen after the number of new Covid-19 patients and fatalities reduced. The country recorded three new infections on Sunday, with no new deaths.
Malls are required to close at 8pm so that people can get home before the curfew starts at 11pm.
Learn from listening
- browser (noun): a computer program used to view webpages and content - โปรแกรมที่ช่วยค้นหาหรืออ่านเอกสารบนอินเตอร์เนต, โปรแกรมคอมพิวเตอร์ที่ใช้เปิดดูเว็บ (web browser) ตัวอย่าง เช่น Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome, Netscape เป็นต้น
- capacity: the total amount or number that can be contained - ปริมาณสูงสุดที่จะรับได้
- curfew: a law that does not allow people to go outside between a particular time in the evening and a particular time in the morning - กฎอัยการศึก คือห้ามออกนอกบ้านในยามวิกาล
- details: small facts or pieces of information relating to a situation - รายละเอียด
- fatality: a death caused by an illness, accident, crime or war - การเสียชีวิต
- infection: a disease or medical condition that is caused by a bacteria or by a virus or a parasite - การติดเชื้อ
- QR code (n): a machine-readable code consisting of an array of black and white squares, typically used for storing information for reading by the camera on a smartphone -
- register: to put your name and other information on an official list in order to be allowed to do something, e.g., vote, study, stay in a hotel etc - ลงทะเบียน
- registration: the process of recording names or information on an official list - การขึ้นทะเบียน, การลงทะเบียน
- tracking (noun): following the course of a moving object such as a ship, aircraft or animal using special equipment - การติดตาม, การตามรอย