251 Thais, 20 with fever, fly home from London
A total of 251 Thai citizens stranded in the United Kingdom by Covid-19 arrived home on a flight from London yesterday afternoon.
They were received after a Thai Airways flight landed at Suvarnabhumi airport at 2.40pm by the deputy chief-of-staff of the armed forces, the airport deputy director and Disease Control Department officials.
Twenty of the returnees were found to have high temperatures while going through a health screening point at the airport and were sent to a hospital, 16 were taken to alternative state quarantine (ASQ) facilities of their choices and one monk was taken to a provided facility.
The rest were taken by buses to hotels in Samut Prakan and Bangkok for a 14-day quarantine.
- alternative: another choice - ทางเลือก, ตัวเลือก
- chief-of-staff (noun): the most senior officer in the army, navy, or air force - เสนาธิการ
- facility (noun): a building, equipment, etc., used for a particular purpose - โรงงาน, สถานบริการ, สิ่งก่อสร้าง, สิ่งอำนวยความสะดวก
- fever: an abnormally high body temperature - ไข้
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- returnee: someone who is "returning" to some place -
- stranded: left somewhere with no way of going anywhere else - ปล่อยเกาะ ถูกทิ้งไว้