Robot dog hounds Thai shoppers
A robot dog named K9 dispenses hand sanitiser to shoppers — one of the more unexpected measures malls are taking as Thailand relaxes virus restrictions.
"It's convenient for people to wash their hands, just like a preventive measure... especially in this Covid-19 situation," said AIS, the dog's owner.
K9's robot colleagues include ROC, which checks temperatures, and LISA, a customer service-bot.
"The robots are here to assist people, not to replace them," AIS insisted.
But one shopper was unconvinced, saying that she found K9's mechanical frame "creepy".
Thailand has gradually lifted restriction on businesses, which have taken precautions such as seating customers apart in restaurants or using plastic dividers.
Learn from listening
- colleagues (noun): people who work in the same organisation, department or field as you do - เพื่อนร่วมงาน
- creepy: scary, spooky in a way that makes you feel uneasy or disgusted - น่าขยะแขยง, น่ากลัว
- divide (verb): to break or split into two pieces - แบ่ง, See also: แยก, แบ่งแยก, แยกเป็นสองส่วน
- hound (n): a dog -
- hound: to follow someone in a determined way in order to get something from them - ไล่ล่า, ติดตาม
- insist: to keep saying very firmly that something is true - ยืนกราน ยืนยัน
- precautions: things done to protect people or things against possible harm or trouble - การป้องกันไว้ก่อน
- preventive measure: an action which is intended to try to stop something that causes problems or difficulties from happening - มาตรการป้องกัน
- roam: to move or travel around in no particular direction - เดินโดยปราศจากจุดหมาย
- sanitiser: a chemical used to make things clean and healthy, especially by killing bacteria -