50,000 foreigners to start arriving next week
The first group of foreigners to be allowed to enter Thailand will be business representatives, skilled workers, experts, people with Thai families, teachers, students and patients who agree to quarantine, according to the government.
Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), on Wednesday explained the government's plan to allow foreign nationals back into the country.
He said most will be required to accept 14-day quarantine after their arrival.
The spokesman said about 50,000 foreigners are likely to visit the country under the new rules.
They include about 30,000 people expected to arrive for medical and wellness tourism.
Others include about 15,400 skilled workers/experts; 2,000 teachers, educational personnel and students; 2,000 foreigners with Thai families or with residences in Thailand; and 700 business people/investors. Members of this group have already registered for visits and agreed to quarantine.
A further group consists of tourists and travellers who would arrive under the travel bubble scheme, Dr Taweesilp said. Details for this group had yet to be finalised.
Foreign businesspeople/investors who accepted quarantine could arrive immediately. Skilled workers/experts, people with Thai families and residences in Thailand, educational personnel, students, businesspeople/investors with short visits and guests of the government would be allowed in on July 1, he said.
Those who would arrive for medical and wellness tourism could also arrive on July 1.
Tourists who would arrive under the travel bubble scheme could be allowed in on Aug 1 on condition they undergo "Villa Quarantine", meaning they stay in their accomodation and do not travel.
The draft measures would be submitted to the CCSA for consideration next Monday, Dr Taweesilp said.
Learn from listening
- consist of: to be made of or formed from something - ประกอบด้วย
- draft: not in a final form and likely to be changed - ร่าง
- finalise: to complete the last part of a plan, trip, project, etc - ทำให้เสร็จสมบูรณ์
- immediately (adv): happening right after something else with no delay; right away - ทันที
- insurance: an arrangement in which you regularly pay an insurance company an amount of money so that they will give you money if something you own is damaged, lost, or stolen, or if you die or are ill or injured - การประกัน
- investors (noun): people or organisations that invest money, i.e., use money with the aim of making a profit from it, for example by buying property or buying shares in a company - นักลงทุน
- personnel: the people who are employed in a company, organization or one of the armed forces - บุคลากร, เจ้าหน้าที่, พนักงาน
- quarantine (verb): to keep a person or animal that might have a disease separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - กักบริเวณ จำกัดบริเวณ
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- require: to make somebody do or have something, especially because it is necessary according to a particular law or set of rules - บังคับใช้ (กฎหมาย) กำหนด
- villa: a house usually in the countryside or near the sea - บ้านพักตากอากาศ, บ้านพักของเศรษฐีในชนบท
- wellness: healthy; having good health and not likely to become ill/sick - มีสุขภาพดี