Sean faces questions over fundraiser
Famous YouTuber Sean Buranahiran will be summoned to clarify donations he raised to help Chiang Mai province fight wildfires earlier this year, Muang Chiang Mai district chief Sarawut Worapong said on Monday.
The move followed corruption watchdog Srisuwan Janya's claim this week that the 870,741.50 baht raised by Sean had been used for the Covid-19 pandemic, not the Chiang Mai wildfires. He also alleged that over 250,000 of the money had been spent on media productions for personal benefit.
Sean could be fined and might face other penalties depending on how he spent the donations, said the district chief.
Over the weekend the "Sean Buranahiran" Facebook page posted to clarify the issue, saying that the donations were meant for the Chiang Mai wildfires as well as Covid-19, 254,516.53 baht of which was spent on the production of media to raise awareness about the wildfires.
The social media influencer came under fire after he praised Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon as "kind of sweet" in one of his videos. The number of "likes" of his Facebook page subsequently dropped from 4 million to 2.9 million.
- donation: money or goods that you give to an organisation, especially one that helps people - เงินหรือสิ่งของบริจาค
- drive: a planned effort to achieve something - การผลักดัน,ความพยายาม
- extinguish: to put out a fire - ดับไฟ
- funds: money needed or available to spend on something - เงินทุน
- headman (noun): village headman, the leader of a village - ผู้ใหญ่บ้าน
- influencer (noun): a person who influencers, i.e., a person who has the power to make somebody/something behave in a particular way - คนที่มีอิทธิพล
- media (noun): (plural form of "medium") particular types of art used as a way of expressing ideas or feelings -
- penalty: a punishment, or the usual punishment, for doing something that is against a law - โทษ
- subsequently: happening or coming after something else - ซึ่งตามมา
- volunteer (noun): someone who is not paid for the work that they do; someone who does something willingly without being required to - อาสาสมัคร
- watchdog: an organisation or person that works to stop people from doing illegal things - กลุ่มจับตาประชาธิปไตย
- wildfire (noun): a fire in a forested area that begins naturally, i.e., is not likely caused by humans - ไฟป่าที่รุนแรงและลุกไหม้เป็นบริเวณกว้าง