Thailand chosen for Covid success documentary
The World Health Organization (WHO) has chosen Thailand and New Zealand for a film documentary on successful models for handling and curbing Covid-19.
The National Institute of Health's Department of Medical Science director Ballang Uppapong shared the news on Facebook.
No more details of the project have been revealed.
Dr Ballang shared part of the conversation while the documentary was being shot at his office.
"Question: How many labs are able to test for Covid-19 and why is it important to be able to have such a large capacity?
Answer: Director-General of Department of Medical Sciences has a policy of 'one lab, one province, one-day reporting'. Today, there are 207 laboratories in total across the country," he wrote.
The contacts will be identified, traced and quarantined, and monitored for 14 days, he added.
Meanwhile, Thira Woratanarat, dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Chulalongkorn University, voiced his concern on Facebook that the country was at high risk of a second wave of Covid-19 due to the government's policy to open up to foreign visitors.
"We are now facing a higher risk of catching deadly virus infections at a time when restrictions are being unlocked," Dr Thira said.
"The lesson learned from abroad shows the outbreak is usually found two to six weeks after that."
Learn from listening
- capacity: the amount of something that can be produced or done - ความสามารถในการ (ระบาย, ผลิต etc.)
- documentary (noun): a film, television programme, set of photos that deals with real people and events - สารคดี
- isolated: set apart from; disconnected from - แยกออกมา ตั้งอยู่เดี่ยวๆ
- lab (laboratory): a room or building used for scientific research, experiments, testing, etc - ห้องปฏิบัติการ, ห้องทดลอง
- official: someone with an important position in an organisation - เจ้าหน้าที่
- policy (noun): a set of plans or action agreed on by a government, political party, business, or other group - นโยบาย
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- trace: to discover the cause or origin of something by examining the way in which it has developed - สืบหาร่องรอย