Storm Sinlaku hits North, Northeast
Chiang Mai and Loei provinces were hit by storm Sinlaku as it moved into Thailand, with heavy rain and flash-floods expected until at least Tuesday.
Officials denied reports that the sudden flood was caused by a leak at Mae Kuang Dam in Doi Saket district. The flooding was due to damage to a small check-dam in San Sai, built to slow the river's flow, officials said.
In Loei, torrential rain flooded communities in at least three districts on Sunday morning, but the water was receding on Monday as the level of the Loei River dropped.
Three northeastern and six northern provinces, including Chiang Mai and Loei, bore the brunt of the storm.
The Meteorological Department issued another weather alert, but said Sinlaku was weakening as it entered Nan on Monday morning. Heavy rain was expected in at least 44 provinces, most of them in the northern and northeastern regions, until Tuesday.
- bear the brunt of (idiom): to receive the main force of something unpleasant - ได้รับผลกระทบที่รุนแรง
- dam: a wall built across a river to stop the water from flowing, especially in order to create a lake or to help to produce electric power - เขื่อน
- damaged (adj): having received physical harm makes something less attractive, useful or valuable - ได้รับความเสียหาย
- flash floods (noun): floods that happen suddenly without warning - น้ำที่เกิดท่วมในที่ต่ำโดยฉับพลันทันทีและไหลลดลงอย่างรวดเร็ว
- household: a group of people, often a family, who live together - ครัวเรือน
- leak: (of a liquid or gas) flowing out of a hole or crack - การรั่วไหล
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- overflow: (of a river or body of water) to flood the land next to it - เอ่อล้น, ไหลล้น
- torrential rain: extremely heavy rain - ฝนไหลเชี่ยว