Govt plans quarantine hubs
The government may temporarily turn border patrol police camps into Covid-19 quarantine centres, to accommodate migrant workers who have been permitted to come work in Thailand.
Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin said on Thursday the ministry was seeking cooperation from the Border Patrol Police in a plan that is believed would help lower the costs of Covid-19 quarantining for the employers of these migrant workers, while ensuring high quarantine standards.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had expressed concerns over the impact the Covid-19 outbreak in neighbouring countries would have on migrant workers coming into Thailand through border checkpoints, said Mr Suchart.
The ministry plans to hold discussions with employers in the border provinces who now need more migrant workers to work for them, especially in the agricultural sector, said the minister.
The ministry is also considering using a Covid-19 quarantine programme for migrant workers being piloted in Chanthaburi as a model for other border provinces, he said.
In this project, some fruit plantation owners are providing Covid-19 quarantine facilities for migrants they are hiring, he said.
In terms of the prevention of illegal entry by migrant workers, the ministry has instructed its labour offices in the border provinces to support the work of security authorities.
Learn from listening
- agricultural (adj): of the science or practice of farming - ที่เกี่ยวกับเกษตรกรรม
- border patrol police: the part of the police force that is responsible for border security - ตำรวจตระเวณชายแดน
- checkpoint: a place where people are stopped and questioned and vehicles are examined, especially at a border between two countries - ด่านตรวจ
- hub: the central and most important part of a particular place or activity - จุดศูนย์กลาง, จุดรวม
- illegal: against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย, นอกกฎหมาย
- migrant worker: someone who travels to another place or country in order to find work - คนงานต่างถิ่น
- plantation (n): a large farm where crops such as tea, coffee, cotton, sugar or trees, are grown - ไร่ นาขนาดใหญ่
- quarantine (verb): to keep a person or animal that might have a disease separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - กักบริเวณ จำกัดบริเวณ
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- security: protection; systems providing for safety from attack, harm, or damage - ระบบรักษาความปลอดภัย