Tollway booths to be scrapped next year
The Ministry of Transport will remove tollway booths and remodel billing systems to incorporate vehicle recognition next year.
Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob on Tuesday told reporters that the ministry's vehicle registration database will be shared with the Department of Land Transport, Department of Highways and Expressway Authority of Thailand under a memorandum of understanding to track vehicles using tollways and expressways when barriers and toll booths are taken away next year.
He said a toll system without barriers and toll booths is being developed.
According to the new system, called M-Flow, licence plate detectors will be used to later match the vehicle information in the licence registration database and bill motorists every month to post-pay without the assistance of barriers and toll booths, the minister said.
All tollway and expressway gates will be modified by next year, he said.
"This system has another benefit ... we can check for illegal vehicles," he said referring to the linked database and the licence detection system.
Laws will be amended so that failure to pay road tolls will be considered an offence, he said.
Current users of M-Pass will be able to link their pass with their vehicle licence and pay the tolls automatically.
Learn from listening
- barrier: a bar or gate that stops people, animals or vehicles from entering a place - สิ่งกีดขวางทางผ่าน
- booth: a small tent or temporary structure at a market, an exhibition or a fairground, where you can buy things, get information or watch something - แผงลอย,ห้องเล็ก, บูธ
- failure: the fact of something not working or stopping working -
- illegal: against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย, นอกกฎหมาย
- licence plate: a flat piece of metal or plastic on the front and back of a vehicle that shows its license number - แผ่นป้ายทะเบียนรถยนต์
- offence: a crime or illegal activity for which there is a punishment - การกระทำผิดกฎหมาย
- registration: the process of recording names or information on an official list - การขึ้นทะเบียน, การลงทะเบียน
- toll (noun): the amount of money that a person must pay to travel on a special road or "tollway". -
- vehicle: a machine that you travel in or on, especially one with an engine that travels on roads, e.g., a car, bus, van, truck, etc. - ยานพาหนะ