Cool season begins
The kingdom on Thursday officially entered the cool season, according to the Meteorological Department.
Provinces were warned to brace for floods as a result of storms still battering the country.
Despite the rainy season officially ending, some areas will continue to experience heavy rainfall, the department said.
Meanwhile, the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) has issued a warning to Bangkok and 11 nearby provinces in the central area of the kingdom which may be affected by the discharge of water from the Chao Phraya Dam.
The provinces include Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan.
The RID said it needs to discharge water from the dam as its reservoir is full.
Learn from listening
- batter: to hit something hard many times - ตีติดต่อกัน, โจมตีติดต่อกัน
- brace: to get ready for something unpleasant - เตรียม
- dam: a wall built across a river to stop the water from flowing, especially in order to create a lake or to help to produce electric power - เขื่อน
- discharge: to let a liquid flow out - ปล่อยออก, ขับออก
- irrigation: the process of bringing water to land through a system of pipes, ditches, etc. in order to make crops grow - ระบบชลประทาน
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- reservoir: a natural or artificial lake where water is stored - อ่างเก็บน้ำ