Schools told to prepare for second wave
Academics have said that schools need to prepare for a second wave of Covid-19 infections if they are to avoid further disruptions to the education of their students.
"The pandemic denied many children, particularly those in rural areas, learning and self-development opportunities," Dilaka Lathapipat, Human Development Economist for the Education Unit of the World Bank based in Bangkok, said.
He suggested education-related units must urgently address this problem while getting ready to deal with a possible second wave of Covid-19 infections more efficiently.
The economist was one of the speakers during Friday's "My School and Covid-19" online discussion arranged by the Princess Maha Chakri Award Foundation, the Ministry of Education and education organisations.
Mr Dilaka also warned that Thailand is not yet able to use online learning, even for short periods, following the results of a survey that showed a gap between urban and rural children in terms of the equipment they have for remote learning.
While there are many factors that have an impact on the quality of education in Thailand, the level of state investment is far lower than others assessed by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Students were also bullied at school more than other students in OECD countries.
Learn from listening
- address: to deal with a problem - จัดการปัญหา
- bullied: threatened or frightened by someone with influence, status or power - ถูกรังแก
- denied: a refusal to allow somebody to have something - ปฎิเสธ, ไม่ยอมรับ
- economist: a person who studies or writes about economics - นักเศรษฐศาสตร์
- efficiently: done in an effective, organised way - อย่างมีประสิทธิภาพ
- gap (noun): a difference between people or groups - ช่องว่าง
- investment (noun): the act of investing money in something - การลงทุน
- opportunity (noun): a chance to do something, or a situation in which it is easy for you to do something - โอกาส
- remote: far away in distance - ห่างไกล
- rural: connected with the countryside outside big towns and cities - ในชนบท, บ้านนอก
- survey: the act of asking for and recording information - การสำรวจ, การหาข้อมูล
- unit: a part of a company or organisation that carries out a particular function; a group of people who work or live together, especially for a particular purpose - หน่วย,กอง,กลุ่ม
- urban: of or in a city or town - ในเมือง