Woman slaps girl for not standing during national anthem
A 45-year-old vendor has been charged with assault after slapping a girl who did not stand up during the playing of the national anthem at Ayutthaya railway station on Tuesday evening.
A video of her assaulting the 15-year-old student went viral online, drawing heavy criticism of the woman's action.
The vendor, identified only as Poo, became angry after the girl had failed to stand up for the 6pm national anthem on Tuesday.
When it was finished she walked over to the girl and slapped her in the face and pulled her hair, in full view of the many people waiting for a train. People quickly intervened.
Ms Poo on Wednesday apologised to the girl's family.
She said after seeing the student did not stand up during the national anthem, she went over to her and asked whether she was a Thai or not, and why she did not pay respect to the anthem.
The woman claimed the student replied that it was her personal right not to stand. This angered her, and she assaulted the girl, according to Thai media.
However, the girl's uncle explained she did not stand because she was having her period, not showing lack of respect for the anthem as alleged by the woman.
Learn from listening
- assault (verb): to attack someone violently, either physically or in some other way, e.g., smell - ทำร้ายร่างกาย, ทำร้าย
- criticism: comments that show that you think something is wrong or bad - การวิจารณ์
- intervene: to become involved in a situation in order to try to stop or change it - แทรกแซง
- national anthem: the official national song of a country - เพลงชาติ
- period (noun): the flow of blood each month from the body of a woman who is not pregnant - ช่วงมีประจำเดือน
- respect: a feeling of admiration that you have for someone/something because of their personal qualities, their achievements, or their status, and that you show by treating them in a polite and kind way - ความเคารพ, ความนับถือ
- slap: to hit with the flat part of the hand - ตบ
- vendor: someone who sells something, but often not in a shop - พ่อค้าแม่ค้าแผงลอย