Taxi passengers now face luggage charges
Taxi passengers travelling to and from Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports are now subject to a luggage charge.
The order, which became effective yesterday, permits taxi drivers to charge passengers between 20 baht and 100 baht extra for luggage.
Wheelchairs are not considered luggage, nor are small bags such as small backpacks, laptop bags or small carry-on bags.
According to the announcement, taxi drivers and passengers have to reach an agreement on the charge.
Each case or bag more than 58cm (26 inches) in length or width is subject to an extra charge of 20 baht, the announcement said.
In the event a passenger has more than three smaller bags an extra charge of 20 baht will apply to each bag over that amount.
Large pieces of luggage such as golf bags, bicycles, surfboards and musical equipment that are over 127cm (50 inches) in width or length are subject to a 100 baht charge per piece.
Pieces of luggage fastened together are counted as one piece and subject to a 100-baht charge.
Learn from listening
- agreement (noun): an arrangement, a promise or a contract made with somebody - ข้อตกลง, คำสัญญา
- backpack: a large bag, often supported on a light metal frame, carried on the back and used especially by people who go climbing or walking - เป้สะพายหลัง, กระเป๋าสะพายหลัง
- effective: officially begun to be used ; to take effect - มีผล
- fasten (verb): to fix or place something in a particular position, so that it will not move - มัด, รัด, คาด
- luggage (noun): baggage; all the cases and bags that you take with you when you travel - กระเป๋าเดินทาง
- permit (verb): to allow someone to do something - อนุญาต, อนุมัติ, ยินยอม
- subject to: affected by - ได้รับผล
- wheelchair: a special chair with wheels, used by people who cannot walk because of illness, an accident, etc - เก้าอี้รถเข็นสำหรับคนป่วยหรือคนพิการ
- width: the distance across something from one side to the other - ความกว้าง