Pro-monarchy supporter caught with gun at rally site
A pro-monarchy supporter caught with a pistol and bullets at the rally site on Tuesday night told police he carried the gun for self-defence.
Kasidit Leelamuktanan, 35, was detained by soldiers. They seized a gun and 10 bullets from him.
During police interrogation, Mr Kasidit admitted he took part in the pro-monarchy demonstration on Tuesday, but said he had the pistol with him only for self-defence.
As clashes between pro-democracy demonstrators and pro-monarchy supporters erupted on Tuesday evening, he decided to hide the gun and bullets near a fence. He feared it could cause problems for him.
When the situation calmed down, he went back to where he had hidden his gun.
Soldiers noticed him rummaging around for something. They moved in to see what he was doing, and found the gun. They held the man and called police.
- bullet: a small, metal object that is shot from a gun - กระสุนปืน
- clash: a brief fight between two or more people - การปะทะกันสองฝ่าย
- detained: kept in a place and not allowed to leave - กักตัว ควบคุมตัวหรือฝากขัง
- erupt (verb): to start suddenly - ปะทุขึ้น
- fence: a structure made of wood or wire supported with posts that is put between two areas of land as a boundary, or around a garden/yard, field, etc. to keep animals in, or to keep people and animals out - รั้ว
- interrogation: asking someone a lot of questions in order to get information - การสอบถาม, การซักถาม
- monarchy (noun): the king or queen of a country and their family - ราชวงศ์, พระบรมวงศานุวงศ์
- pro: supporting or agreeing with something -
- rummage: to search for something among a lot of other things; to move things around carelessly while searching for something - ค้นกระจุยกระจาย, รื้อค้น
- self-defence: something you say or do in order to protect yourself when you are being attacked, criticised, etc - การป้องกันตัวเอง