No lockdown for 5 provinces
Prime Minister Prayt Chan-o-cha on Tuesday rejected a proposal to completely seal off five provinces to stop the spread of Covid-19 disease, amid a surge in new cases.
Prayut said that the government had no plan to lock down Samut Sakhon and four eastern provinces, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.
Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam also rejected the proposal, including a travel ban.
Mr Wissanu said authorities in the five provinces were already applying strict measures to control the outbreak, but residents in the five provinces could still move around.
Samut Sakhon, Chon Buri, Rayong and Chanthaburi were declared red zones, each with more than 50 patients.
Trat is zoned yellow, with fewer than 50 cases, but authorities there are also enforcing strict health measures.
The five provinces have set up roadside checkpoints, screening the health of travellers entering their areas. Chon Buri alone has 47 checkpoints to screen motorists arriving in the province and in Pattaya.
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- ban: an official statement ordering people not to do, sell or use something - การห้าม
- checkpoint: a place where people have to stop so their vehicles and documents can be checked - ด่านตรวจ
- patient: someone who is receiving medical treatment - คนป่วย, คนไข้
- proposal: a plan or suggestion for a group to consider - ข้อเสนอ
- strict: demanding that rules are obeyed; very careful and exact - เข้มงวด
- surge: a sudden increase in something - การเพิ่มขึ้นอย่างรวดเร็ว
- zone: an area that has an important or typical feature; an area where a particular activity is allowed or not allowed - พื้นที่, บริเวณ, เขต