Woman gets 87 years for lese majeste
published : 20 Jan 2021 at 09:47
writer: Gary Boyle
The Criminal Court has sentenced a woman to 87 years in jail for sharing clips deemed insulting to the monarchy, setting a new record for lese majeste prison terms.
Since the 64-year-old woman confessed, the court halved the sentence to 43 years and six months.
Anchan (family name withheld) was arrested in 2015 for uploading 26 clips on YouTube and three on Facebook during 2014-15. The clips were voice recordings of a man known as Banpodj (pseudonym), a critic of the monarchy.
Banpodj, who created the content, was tried in a military court in 2015. After he confessed, his 10-year sentence was halved.
The court said that by sharing the clips, Anchan enabled the public to view them.
She immediately appealed the sentence but the court said the Appeals Court would decide on her request.
Each charge of lese majeste under Section 112 carries 3-15 years in jail.
Learn from listening
- appeal: to make a request that a court change a decision of a lower court - ยื่นอุทธรณ์
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- confessed (verb): admitted to having committed a crime - สารภาพผิด
- court: the place where legal trials take place and where crimes, etc. are judged - ศาล
- critic: a person who expresses disapproval of somebody/something and talks about their bad qualities, especially publicly - ผู้วิจารณ์, ผู้จับผิด, ผู้วิเคราะห์
- halve: to reduce by a half; to make something reduce by a half - ลดลงครึ่งหนึ่ง, หั่นครึ่ง
- lese majeste: the crime of offending, threatening or showing disrespect for a member of the royal family - หมิ่นพระบรมเดชานุภาพ
- monarchy: a type of government in which a country is ruled by a king or queen - การปกครองที่มีพระมหากษัตริย์เป็นประมุข
- pseudonym: a name used by somebody, especially a writer, instead of their real name - นามปากกา
- sentence : a punishment given by a court of law - การตัดสินลงโทษ
- withheld (verb): to deliberately not give something to someone - ไม่เปิดเผย, ไม่อนุญาต, ระงับ, ถอนกลับ