Fines, suspended jail terms for Koh Phangan partygoers
published : 29 Jan 2021 at 15:03
writer: R May
The more than 100 partygoers caught breaking Covid-19 restrictions at a Koh Phangan bar were fined 4,000 baht each.
They were also each sentenced to one month in prison, suspended for one year.
The bar owner and a staff member were each fined 10,000 baht and sentenced to two years in prison, suspended for one year.
A total of 109 customers were detained - 89 foreigners (38 men and 51 women) and 20 Thais (7 men and 13 women) - when immigration and tourist police and local officials raided the Three Sixty Bar in Koh Phangan district on Tuesday night.
Forty bottles of beer and whisky and a notepad were seized.
A Russian man said he was at the party because he thought nothing would happen. He apologised to the Thai people.
- apologise: to say you are sorry for doing something wrong or for causing a problem - ขอโทษ
- detained: kept in a place and not allowed to leave - กักตัว ควบคุมตัวหรือฝากขัง
- raid: to use force to enter a place suddenly in order to arrest people or search for something such as illegal weapons or drugs - บุกเข้าจับ, เข้าตรวจค้น
- seized: taken away by force or official power - ถูกยึกครอง
- sentence : (of a court of law) to give a punishment - ลงโทษ
- suspend a sentence: a situation when the court decides that the person who has been proven guilty of a crime does not have to undergo the punishment given, usually under certain conditions - รอลงอาญา