PM volunteers for first vaccine shot
published : 23 Feb 2021 at 09:29
writer: Gary Boyle
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he is ready to be the first Thai to be vaccinated against Covid-19 with the China-made vaccine.
The prime minister's wish may not be granted, however, after health experts announced that priority will be decided according to age.
Dr Sopon Iamsirithaworn, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said on Monday that Sinovac's vaccine is only recommended for those aged 18-59 due to insufficient data to support its efficacy among those who are younger or older.
Tomorrow, the first delivery 200,000 doses land at Suvarnabhumi airport on a flight from Beijing.
Another 800,000 doses from Sinovac will arrive in March and 1 million more in April. The government has also purchased 26 million doses from AstraZeneca, a British-Swedish pharmaceutical company.
The government has come in for criticism for lagging behind its Southeast Asian neighbours Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia and Singapore, which have already had shipments of the vaccine.
Learn from listening
- criticism: comments that show that you think something is wrong or bad - การวิจารณ์
- dose: an amount of drug that has been measured so that you can take it - ปริมาณยาที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- efficacy (noun): the ability of something to produce the results that are wanted ความมี - ประสิทธิภาพ, ความสามารถ, สมรรถภาพ
- grant: to officially give something - ให้
- insufficient: not enough - ไม่เพียงพอ
- lagging: moving or advancing so slowly that you are behind other people or things - ล้าหลัง
- priority: something important that must be done first or which needs more attention than something else - การมาก่อน
- shipment: a load of goods that are sent from one place to another - ปริมาณสินค้าที่ขนส่งในครั้งหนึ่ง ๆ
- vaccine: a substance which contains a form that is not harmful of a virus and which is given to a person or animal to prevent them from getting the disease which the virus causes - วัคซีน
- wish (noun): something that you want to have in the future - ความปรารถนา, ความประสงค์, ความต้องการ, ความอยาก