Covid vaccination priorities announced
published : 23 Feb 2021 at 14:02
writer: Gary Boyle
The first 200,000 Covid-19 vaccine doses to arrive on Wednesday will be sent to 13 provinces with high infection rates, the government said.
Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Tuesday that the vaccination programme will be divided into two phases.
The first phase, with limited doses available, will cover:
- medical and health personnel in both government and private sector in contact with infected people;
- people with chronic diseases, diabetes and obesity with body weight of more than 100 kilogrammes;
- people aged 60 years and over;
- disease control workers in contact with patients.
The second phase, with greater availability of doses, will cover:
- recipients from the first phase;
- other medical and health personnel;
- tourism-related workers;
- workers who travel internationally;
- the general public;
- diplomats, staff of international organisations, foreign business people and expatriates;
- workers in the industrial and service sectors.
Dr Taweesilp said 2 million doses from Sinovac were set to arrive from February to April.
The first 200,000 doses to be delivered on Wednesday will be delivered to 13 provinces with the highest infection rates, the greatest economic significance, or both.
Vaccination procedures at hospitals will take 5-7 minutes per recipient, who must then wait for 30 minutes while their condition is monitored, Dr Taweesilp said.
- chronic (adj): (of a disease, pain or problem) serious and lasting for a long time - เป็นประจำ
- diplomat: an official whose job is to represent their government in a foreign country - นักการทูต
- dose: an amount of drug that has been measured so that you can take it - ปริมาณยาที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- expatriate (expat): a person living in a country that is not their own - คนที่อาศัยอยู่ต่างประเทศ (เป็นเวลานาน)
- general public: people in general - ประชาชน, สาธารณชน, มหาชน
- obesity: being overweight, which can have a negative effect on health -
- patient: someone who is receiving medical treatment - คนป่วย, คนไข้
- personnel: the people who are employed in a company, organization or one of the armed forces - บุคลากร, เจ้าหน้าที่, พนักงาน
- phase: a particular period of time during the development of something - ตอน, ขั้นตอน, ช่วง, ระยะ
- recipients: people who receive something - ผู้รับ
- significance: importance; the importance that something has because it affects other things - ความสำคัญ
- vaccination (noun): giving someone a vaccine, usually by injection to prevent them from getting a disease - การฉีดวัคซีน