Songkran allowed to go ahead
The annual Songkran festival will be allowed to go ahead next month.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Wednesday said social distancing rules must be respected at Songkran.
"The government is in the process of considering what can be allowed, whether to permit some activities or all of them. But if the virus spreads [because of it], the government might be blamed for it," Gen Prayut said.
"So I call for your understanding. Easing restrictions is not an easy call to make since the government has to take responsibility for the whole country."
The president of the Khao San Business Association said permission for Khao San Road to host the Songkran festival offers hope to businesses in the area which have been struggling.
"We know that it won't help much as there are still no international tourists, but at least it is a good starting point to reignite business activities on Khao San Road," he said.
Learn from listening
- blame: to be responsible for something bad - เหตุขัดข้อง
- ease: to relieve; to make a problem, situation or pain less severe or serious - บรรเทา
- host: to invite guests to a meal, a party, official event, etc. - ทำหน้าที่เป็นเจ้าภาพ
- permission: allowing someone to do something - การอนุญาต,การอนุมัติ,การยินยอม
- reignite: to cause something bad to begin again - ทำให้ (ปัญหา) ลุกลามอีกครั้ง
- respect: to accept the importance of something; to act according to a rule or law - เคารพ
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- struggling: having serious difficulties - มีความยุ่งยาก