Samui prepares no-quarantine plan
Koh Samui aims to implement quarantine-free travel for vaccinated visitors from Oct 1.
"Koh Samui wants to grab tourist demand as there are many destinations globally that require no quarantine," said Ratchaporn Poolsawadee, president of the Tourism Association of Koh Samui.
Koh Samui is expected to be the first area in Surat Thani to test entry procedures for foreigners because the island has an airport.
Koh Phangan and Koh Tao are reachable via ferry and they can develop their own entry standards.
Mr Ratchaporn said local communities have no opposition to a quarantine-free tourism plan.
However, some 300,000 vaccine doses have to be administered in Samui to create herd immunity first, he said.
In addition, the government has to allow international commercial flights to transit in Bangkok at a sealed terminal before flying to Koh Samui.
Mr Ratchaporn said there would be one flight per week to get tourists to the island without quarantine in Bangkok.
Learn from listening
- grab: to take or hold somebody/something with your hand suddenly, firmly or roughly - จับ,ฉวย,คว้า,แย่ง
- herd immunity: when most of a population is immune to an infectious disease -
- opposition: strong disagreement with a plan or policy - ความขัดแย้ง
- procedures (noun): ways of doing something - ขั้นตอนการดำเนินการ
- sealed (adj): (of a container, room, etc.) closed tightly, especially so that air, liquid, etc. cannot get in or out - ปิด
- standards: rules for behaving which should be obeyed - มาตรฐาน, บรรทัดฐาน, กฎเกณฑ์, กรอบ
- vaccinate: to give someone a vaccine, usually by injection (putting a liquid, especially a drug, into a person's body using a needle and a syringe), to prevent them from getting a disease - ฉีดวัคซีน
- vaccine: a substance which contains a form that is not harmful of a virus and which is given to a person or animal to prevent them from getting the disease which the virus causes - วัคซีน