Human trials of Thai jab start
Thailand on Monday started the first human trials of a domestically developed Covid-19 vaccine, with the rollout expected to begin next year.
The vaccine is being developed by the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO) using egg-based technology.
The information from the human trials will be used to apply for registration with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for production at the GPO's plant in Saraburi's Kaeng Khoi district.
The plant already has egg-based technology to make flu vaccines, which will be adjusted to produce Covid-19 vaccines.
Production is expected to begin next year, with an estimated 25-30 million doses annually.
A total of 460 volunteers would be recruited for the human trials, 210 of whom are aged 18-59 and would take part in the first phase.
Phase two is expected to begin in July, with testing on 250 volunteers aged between 18-75. Results are expected to be known by the end of the year.
- dose: an amount of drug that has been measured so that you can take it - ปริมาณยาที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- human: people in general - มนุษย์,มนุษยชาติ
- jab: a vaccination - การฉีดวัคซีน
- phase: a particular period of time during the development of something - ตอน, ขั้นตอน, ช่วง, ระยะ
- plant: a factory; a factory that produces power or processes chemicals, etc. - โรงงาน
- recruit: to persuade someone to join in something - จัดหาคนใหม่
- roll-out (noun): an occasion when a company introduces or starts to use a new product - การนำ(สินค้า ฯลฯ) ออกส่สายตาประชาชนเป็นครั้งแรก
- trial: a test, usually over a limited period of time, to discover how effective or suitable something or someone is - การทดลอง, การทดสอบ
- vaccine: a substance which contains a form that is not harmful of a virus and which is given to a person or animal to prevent them from getting the disease which the virus causes - วัคซีน