Thailand on path to space
Under the ambitious Thai Space Consortium project, the government is working with partners to produce satellites and boost the country's space capabilities.
It is among five small satellites being developed by the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation (MHESI) in its 2021-2027 space technology programme.
The ministry and 12 partners on Monday signed an agreement to work together on space technology research in a project involving five universities and space technology-related agencies.
However, critics are questioning whether the project will really benefit Thailand in terms of space technology development.
Many on Twitter have also criticized the cost of the project when so many Thai people were living in poverty.
MHESI Minister Anek Laothamatas said on Monday that space technology would become a major field of interest for future investors because so many people were now involved with the IoT (Internet of Things) in their everyday lives.
"The government is well aware of that, hence it is laying down the basis infrastructure and the development of human resources," Mr Anek said at Monday's signing ceremony.
"The space technology business will be able to create start-up businesses related to space technology and in doing so elevate the country's economy."
Following TSC-Pathfinder's launch in 2023, over the next four years satellites will be launched to survey the earth; to test dual-system technology; to test low-frequency-X band signals; and lastly, by 2027, to put a satellite in the Moon's orbit.
- application (noun): using something to do something - การใช้, การประยุกต์ใช้
- consortium: an organization of several businesses or banks joining together as a group for a shared purpose - สมาคม,สหภาพ,ห้างหุ้นส่วน,สมาคมนายธนาคาร
- frequency: the number of times that a wave, especially a sound or radio wave, is produced within a particular period, especially one second - ความถี่
- industrial: relating to industry - เกี่ยวกับอุตสาหกรรม
- infrastructure: a set of systems within a place or organisation that affect how well it operates, e.g., the telephone and transport systems in a country or the system of train tracks that a railway uses - สาธารณูปโภค
- investor: a person or organization that invests money, i.e., uses money with the aim of making a profit from it, for example by buying property or buying shares in a company - นักลงทุน
- launch: sending something out, such as a rocket into the air or into space - การปล่อย
- pilot: of a plan, product or system that is used to test how good something is before introducing it - นำร่อง
- satellite: an electronic device that is sent into space and moves around the earth or another planet. It is used for communicating by radio, television, etc. and for providing information - ดาวเทียม
- survey: the act of examining and recording the measurements, features, etc. of an area of land - การสำรวจ, การหาข้อมูล