Songkran travel okay
Most travellers from Bangkok and other at-risk areas heading to their home provinces during Songkran will not have to go into quarantine, says public health minister.
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, who is also deputy prime minister, made his comments on Tuesday after the Public Health Ministry announced tougher restrictions on restaurants and entertainment venues in Bangkok and surrounding provinces following detection of new infection clusters there.
In light of this, the government’s Emergency Operation Centre agreed that Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Nakhon Pathom will be designated as red zones under maximum control.
"Although provinces have been divided into zones, designated by colours according to the infection rates, none will be locked down,” Mr Anutin said.
“People can still travel to other provinces without having to go into quarantine on arrival at their destination. Only people who have been infected with the virus, or are considered to be at high risk, will be quarantined."
The public health minister went on to ask that people remain alert and careful, and not be too fun-loving during the Songkran holiday. It was obvious, he said, the latest cluster of infections had emerged after groups had visited entertainment venues.
However, the public health office in Buri Ram on Tuesday announced that travellers from red zone provinces -- Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, and Nakhon Pathom -- will indeed have to be quarantined for 14 days. But, if they ask for a rapid Covid-19 test and the results come back negative, they will not have to undergo quarantine.
- alert: prepared to deal with something dangerous - ตื่นตัว ระวัง
- cluster: group of people, animals or things close together - กลุ่ม
- deputy minister: a minister who assists the main minister in overseeing the work of the ministry - รัฐมนตรีช่วยว่าการกระทรวง
- designate (verb): to mark or separate for a particular purpose ถูกกำหนด - กำหนด
- detection: the process of proving that something is present or how something has happened using scientific methods - การพบ,การสืบหา,การตรวจพบ
- emerge: to become known - เป็นที่ประจักษ์ต่อ
- obvious: clear; easy to see, recognise or understand - ชัดเจน
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- undergo: to experience something, especially a change or something unpleasant - ประสบ, ผ่านประสบการณ
- venues (noun): places where activities or events happen - สถานที่