Grim Covid warning
More than 28,000 people could become infected with Covid-19 per day over the next month if no disease control measures are put in place.
The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported 967 new Covid-19 cases on Sunday, the most ever diagnosed in 24 hours in Thailand.
Sopon Iamsirithaworn, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), said its epidemiology division in collaboration with the International Health Policy Program had developed a mathematical model to predict the number of people who could become infected per day if safety measures were not observed. In a worst-case scenario with no disease control measures in place, 28,678 people could be infected per day, he said.
As of Saturday, for the most recent phase of the outbreak, Bangkok had recorded an accumulated 1,114 infections. Of that number, 823 were linked to night entertainment venues in the capital, and the rest detected during proactive mass testing in communities, Dr Sopon said.
According to CCSA data, infections have been linked to 140 pubs in 15 provinces. Bangkok topped the list with 85 nightspots, led by the Krystal Club in Thong Lor, where 211 infections had been detected since the beginning of this month. Chon Buri recorded 11 infections, Prachuap Khiri Khan recorded nine, Pathum Thani seven and Chiang Mai six.
Dr Sopon said most of the kingdom's new transmissions were linked to pub clusters that have now spread to 70 provinces in the kingdom.
- collaboration: the act of working with another person or group of people to create or produce something -
- comply: to obey a rule or law, or to do what someone asks you to do - ปฏิบัติตามกฎหมาย
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- diagnose: to find out what physical or mental problem someone has by examining them - วินิจฉัย,ตรวจโรค
- dire: very serious or extreme - เลวร้ายมาก
- director-general: the head of a large organisation, especially a public organisation - อธิบดี
- epidemiology (noun): the study of how diseases spread - ต้นกำเนิดและการพัฒนาของเชื้อโรค, ระบาดวิทยา, การศึกษาเกี่ยวกับสาเหตุและการแพร่ของเชื้อโรคในประชากร
- model: a simple description of a system, used for explaining how something works or calculating what might happen, etc - แบบจำลอง
- phase: a particular period of time during the development of something - ตอน, ขั้นตอน, ช่วง, ระยะ
- scenario (noun): a description of possible actions or events in the future - การสมมติสภาพที่เป็นไปได้
- upsurge: a sudden increase in something - การเพิ่มขึ้นอย่างรวดเร็ว